Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ikea Updo

I can't believe I'm JUST getting around to this blog tutorial... If this is any indication of the busy-ness of my life, then I guess it's time to breathe for a moment!

Anyway... For my 29th birthday in October, I got to "get away" for a night with a few friends. We headed to Northern Virginia and decided to spend a day at Ikea!

I spent less than $50 and got a huge bag full of things! I love that store... And one of my finds were these $4 spice racks:


I've seen lots of "Pins" on Pinterest using these spice racks as book holders in a child's room. But, I wanted to add something special to them. Plus, light colored wood is not my thing!

I decided to decoupage the shelves with a wrapping paper in a black and white damask pattern (I found it at Michael's craft store) to match my daughter's bedroom.

First, I covered the long shelf. I left the back uncovered where the hanging hardware is located.


Then I used a pen and punctured holes where they were factory pre-drilled for assembly:

I did the same thing with the sides and front bar.

Then, I covered everything with a thick coat of Mod Podge to seal and protect the paper from tearing.

After they dried, my hubby hung them for our daughter to enjoy in her "big girl" toddler room!

I love the way they look and I also love the way they are hung at a height where my daughter can enjoy her books. :)


Hope this inspires YOU to do something more personalized with your inexpensive Ikea finds.

XO
Jessica

1 comment:

  1. I love them!!! You did a great job!! Mod Podge is the BEST stuff!!

    ReplyDelete