Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Mountain Dew Cake with Mountain Dew Glaze


I've been in a super creative mood these days, and decided to expand that creativity to my kitchen. I love to cook but generally loathe baking. But, nevertheless, I wanted to make a cake for a special teenage girl Anita who was turning 18. I was inspired by some Pinterest pins of "Mountain Dew Cake." Well, Anita loves Mountain Dew. And she and my husband Arthur always "bicker" over the beverage. So I decided that was what I'd make.

I scoured the internet for recipes and found things that seemed boring and bland and some very complicated recipes trying to duplicate the "Mountain Dew" taste. I decided to adapt a recipe and here's what I came up with:

MOUNTAIN DEW BUNDT CAKE WITH MOUNTAIN DEW GLAZE
Cake Ingredients:
1 box Lemon Cake Mix
1 box Instant Vanilla Pudding
4 eggs
¾ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup orange juice concentrate
1-1/4 cup Mountain Dew Soda

Glaze Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbls Orange Juice Concentrate
1 Tbls Mountain Dew
3 drops green food coloring (optional)
2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix together cake ingredients in a stand mixer. Grease and flour bundt pan. Pour batter into bundt pan. Bake 38-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool.
Make glaze: Add liquid to the powdered sugar and whisk. You may have to adjust the liquid/sugar to make sure the glaze is thick enough to stick to the cake but thin enough to "drip" down the sides. Add food coloring if desired.



Eat! It has a nice citrus-y flavor. Definitely reminiscent of Mountain Dew, though not an exact replication. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment: